Ans. Internet is called the ‘Network of Networks’ because it is a global network of computers that are linked together by cables and telephone lines making communication possible among them.
- It can be defined as a global network over a million smaller heterogeneous computer networks.
- The network which consists of thousands of networks spanning the entire globe is known as "The Internet".
- The Internet is a worldwide collection of networked computers, which are able to exchange information with each other very quickly. Most people use the Internet in two ways, E-mail, and World Wide Web.
- On Internet, most computers are not connected directly, they are connected to smaller networks, which in turn are connected through gateways to the Internet backbone.
- A gateway is a device that connects dissimilar networks. A backbone is a central interconnecting structure that connects one or more networks.